Indian-Spiced Patties with Yogurt Sauce
Guests will say “Yes” to yogurt-topped lamb or chicken Indian-inspired burgers.
Get this recipe and others from Rachael’s book, The Book of Burger!
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck or lamb
- 2 tablespoons mild or hot curry paste or seasoning blend
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A small handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- A small handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 leaves Bibb lettuce or Boston lettuce, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 brioche rolls or grilled naan breads
In a large bowl, combine the chicken or lamb with the curry paste (or seasoning blend) and cinnamon; season with salt and mix thoroughly. Score the mixture into four equal portions and form them into patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking and to ensure a flat surface (burgers plump as they cook).
Heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers, flipping once, 10 minutes for medium lamb burgers (adjust the cooking time for rarer or more well-done burgers) and 10-12 minutes, or until the juices run clear for chicken burgers.
While the burgers are cooking, in a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, cilantro and mint. Season the lettuce and tomatoes with a little salt.
Place the burgers on the roll bottoms or on one side of a naan and top with yogurt sauce, lettuce, and tomato. Set the roll tops in place or fold the naans over the burgers.