Inside-out Pizza-dilla Margerita
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), once around the pan, plus more for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (15 ounces), drained
- 1/4 teaspoon, a couple of pinches, dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inch each)
- 1 pound ball smoked mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil, about 20 leaves, torn or shredded
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the tablesppon of EVOO to the skillet, once around the pan. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook the garlic for a minute, then add the tomatoes and season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer the tomatoes for 2 minutes, the remove from the heat.
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and a flour tortilla. Cover the torilla with an even layer of sliced cheese. Top it with one quarter of the tomatoes. Scatter one quarter of the basil over the tomatoes. Set a second tortilla in place on top. Cook it for 2 minutes on side one, drizzle the top of the tortilla with a touch of EVOO and flip the pizza-dilla. Cook for 2 minutes more, or until golden and crisp on the flip side. Remove, cut into 4 pieces, and serve. Repeat this with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more pizza-dillas.