Irish Whiskey and Beer Cheese Fondue
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Beer Cheese Fondue:
- 1 bottle pilsner beer
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound Irish cheddar, shredded
- 1 pound Baby Bel, Bel Paese or white American cheese, shredded
- 1 shot Irish whiskey
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- A few dashes hot sauce, to taste
- 2 pounds cooked lean corned beef and/or brisket, cut into bite-sized chunks about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick
- 1 pound medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed and boiled to tender
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes, cooked to tender
- 18 baby carrots, peeled and steamed or boiled 3-5 minutes to tender
- 2-inch pieces celery, braised or steamed to just tender
- 4-5 cups cubed rye, wheat or sourdough bread, toasted and/or pretzel rods or mustard pretzels
In a fondue pot or saucepot, bring beer, 1 cup wine and garlic to low boil over medium heat. In a small bowl, make a slurry with the remaining 1/2 cup wine and cornstarch then whisk the slurry into wine and beer. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in cheese a handful at a time in a figure-8 motion, melting cheese completely before adding another handful.
Stir whiskey and baking soda together in a bowl and add lemon juice, Worcestershire, add hot sauce to taste.
Place fondue pot over a lit sterno or transfer fondue to a slow cooker set on low. Serve with meats, breads and vegetables suggested or of your choice.