Italian Chicken Parmesan Soup
This soup gives you all the flavors of chicken parm but in a nice hot bowl!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces or thin strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Place a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pot and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
Add the garlic, onion and red pepper flakes to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onions are tender, 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, water and reserved chicken back to the pot and bring up to a bubble. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and simmer until lightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil just before serving.
Serve the soup topped with a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano.