Melted cheeses and more atop a mix of Italian sausage and peppers make for a super-sized snack with molto sapore!
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 cubanelle peppers, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups or 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Fontina Val d’Aosta cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini, sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Garlic bread crostini, for dipping
Place an oven rack in the top third of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 500°F.
In a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, until golden and caramelized. Add the onion, garlic and cubanelles; season with salt and pepper.
Spread the sausage and pepper mixture in an even layer across the bottom of the skillet. Top with the cheeses and place in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
Remove from the oven and pour the excess oil off the top. Sprinkle with basil, sliced pepperoncini and toasted pine nuts. Serve with the garlic bread crostini alongside for dipping.