Serve the ribs with grilled romaine (or escarole) dressed with balsamic drizzle and shaved Parmesan.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel pollen or ground fennel
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 racks St. Louis-style ribs (2 pounds each), trimmed of all membrane
- Lemon wedges
Set up a smoker to preheat to 300° to 325°F. (We did ours over olivewood chips and charcoal.)
Combine the garlic, herbs, and spices, including salt and black pepper to taste. Slather EVOO over the ribs and then rub with the seasoning mixture. Cook the ribs for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, low and slow.
Squeeze lemon down over the ribs to serve.