Italian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup
Who doesn’t love chicken soup? Just like that soup company says, soup is good food. It’s even better when you make it yourself. You get more chicken and more noodles that way. This recipe is one of three fast soups that taste like they were slow cooked. Each one is so good, you’ll lose your noodle for them! After you make this soup, tryTraditional, Quick Chicken Noodle Soup as well as Latin-Style Chicken Noodle Soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 5-6 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, chopped
- 3-4 medium size carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 can red beans (15 ounces), rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces), rinsed
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound chicken tenders or chicken cutlets, chopped
- 2 cups parmesan pita chips, for garnish
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a handful)
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add the EVOO. Add celery, carrots, onion and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables to make tender, 8-10 minutes.
Add stock, tomato sauce, beans and chickpeas, then bring soup to a boil. Stir penne into soup, cook a minute or so then stir in chicken and simmer 5-6 minutes more.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with some parmesan pita chips and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.