Rachael says, “My dad is from Louisiana, originally. This is a combination of jambalaya, a native favorite, and pasta, something he developed a love for by having Italians in the house! It can turn Wednesday, Monday or Sunday into Fat Tuesday!”
Serve with Mini Pecan Ice Cream Pies.
- 1 pound penne rigate (pasta with lines)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, any brand, casing removed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped or thinly sliced (1 large jalapeño pepper may be substituted)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, with greens, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer (1/2 bottle)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Franks RedHot or Tabasco brand (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, cleaned and tails removed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (eyeball it)
- 2 scallions, sliced
Heat a pot of water to a boil for pasta; add salt to it, then the pasta. Cook to al dente and drain.
While the pasta works, heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO, about two turns of the pan, the butter and the andouille sausage. Brown the sausage for 2-3 minutes to render the fat. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Add the garlic, peppers, celery and onions. Sauté the veggies for 5-6 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and add flour to the pan. Cook the flour with the veggies for 2 minutes more, then whisk in the beer. Cook the beer out, about two minutes.
Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, hot sauce and thyme. Bring the liquid to a bubble and add the chicken and shrimp. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the chicken is firm and the shrimp are opaque and firm. Stir to mix in the cooking juices, then add in the cream. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Ladle up the jambasta and top with the chopped scallions and reserved crispy andouille.