This recipe was submitted by user Dolores Darnell.
- 6 slices stale rye bread or pumpernickel bread
- 1 large apple (leave skin on), chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup milk, divided
- Margarine, for greasing pie plate
- Cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Butter, for dotting each patty
Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
Tear the bread into 1/2-inch long pieces. Put the bread pieces into large bowl and add the apple and onion. Add some milk (start with 1/4 cup and then add another 1/8 cup until you get the desired consistency) and shape the mixture with your hands into patties. You should wind up with six patties total. Add a bit of flour if it is too gooey.
Place the patties into a greased pie plate and sprinkle with cinnamon. Then dot each patty with butter.
Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes and serve alongside a roast pork loin.