Lamb Mini Burgers on Mixed Salad with Fennel
You don’t have to be on a low carb diet to crave this salad! The fennel flavor really complements the lamb.
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed of fronds and tops and quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 large navel orange, zested
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped, plus 1/4 sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 head radicchio, chopped
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sectioned or sliced into disks
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Pre-heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Toss the quartered fennel in two tablespoons EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Put fennel on grill and grill on all sides, approximately two minutes. Remove from grill and cool. Once cooled, thinly slice and reserve.
Combine lamb, rosemary, orange zest, finely chopped red onion, salt and pepper. Make 12 balls and flatten them into 3-inch meat patties. Grill 2-3 minutes on each side.
Combine lettuces in a shallow bowl with sliced onion. Add sliced cooled fennel to salad. Scatter the oranges and parsley around the salad. Dress with vinegar, EVOO, salt and pepper, to your taste. Top portions of salad with three mini lamb patties and serve.