Latin Chicken Wraps
- 1 1/3 pounds ground chicken breast
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder (half a palmful)
- 1 cup shredded Chihuahua, Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard (eyeball it)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), drained, thoroughly rinsed, then thoroughly dried – spread out on a kitchen towel to absorb the water from rinsing
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, lightly seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded
- 2 ripe avocados, skin and pit removed, flesh chopped into large bite-size pieces
- 4 large white or whole wheat flour tortillas
- Corn tortilla chips to serve alongside, any color you like
In a bowl, combine the ground chicken, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder, shredded cheese and some salt and pepper. With the side of your hand, score the meat with an X, separating the mixture into four equal portions. Form four oval, 1-inch thick patties.
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Transfer the patties to the hot skillet and cook on each side for about 6-7 minutes, or until cooked through.
While the chicken is cooking, get the rest of the filling for the wraps together. In the bottom of a bowl, combine the zest and juice of the limes and the mustard, then add some salt and pepper and whisk in 1/4 cup of the EVOO. Add the black beans, tomatoes, red onion and lettuce. Toss to coat in the dressing, then add the avocados and gently toss to combine, trying not the smoosh up the avocados too much.
Warm the flour tortillas either wrapped in foil in a low oven (about 300°F) or in the microwave wrapped in a damp towel for 30-second intervals until warm.
Lay out the four warmed tortillas, place the chicken patties on the bottom half of each tortilla, top with some of the avocado black bean salad and then wrap and roll the tortilla over the filling. Serve up the wraps with some tortilla chips on the side along with any remaining veggie filling.