Lemon and Chives Spaghetti with Farmers’ Market Veggies
Visit your local Farmers’ Market to buy a medley of vivid green vegetables to mix with pasta and a wonderful wine sauce with chives, Dijon mustard and lemon juice. Complete with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle, such as Delverde brand or other thin, wide pasta or egg pasta
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, trimmed of tough ends
- 1/4-1/3 pound of thin green beans (a couple of handfuls)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1/2 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of 2 Meyer lemons or 2 ripe organic lemons
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, to taste, plus some to pass at table
- 2 cups mache or other baby lettuce
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Cook the pasta to al dente, according to the package directions, about 7-8 minutes. Slice the asparagus into 1-inch pieces on an angle. Cut the beans into thirds, also on an angle. Midway through cooking the pasta, add the asparagus and beans to the water so that they cook for 3-4 minutes in boiling water with the pasta. Add the peas to the pot 1 minute before draining. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water just before you drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat the EVOO in a pan and melt the butter into it over low to medium-low heat. Add the chives and garlic and stir for a minute or two. Add the wine and gently reduce for a couple of minutes more. Stir in the Dijon mustard and lemon juice and turn off the heat. Add the pasta and the reserved starchy cooking water and toss to coat evenly, 1-2 minutes. Add some cheese and pepper, to taste. Fold in the baby lettuce and serve with extra cheese on top.