Lemon Cream Shrimp Scampi
This dish was inspired by a meal Rach enjoyed in Amalfi, Italy, where lemons are the star of the show! While serving with crusty bread is great for mopping up the sensational sauce, you can also serve the shrimp with thin linguine or thin spaghetti.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2-2 pounds large shrimp-peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon zest and 1 tablespoon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup vodka or dry vermouth
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup basil (a small handful), roughly torn
- Crusty bread
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over medium-high. When the EVOO begins to shimmer, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, 4-5 minutes.
Add the shrimp and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper. Toss until the shrimp is pink and opaque in the center, 2-3 minutes. Add the vodka; toss for 1 minute. Add the creme fraiche and stir until the sauce is smooth. Off the heat, stir in the parsley and basil. Divide the shrimp among shallow bowls and drizzle with a few drops of the lemon juice. Serve with the crusty bread.