Lemon Poppy Fettuccine
Announce spring with this delightful dish of egg tagliatelle tossed with a creamy lemon and wine sauce with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- A large pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Place the stock in small pot with the saffron over low heat to warm.
Heat the EVOO, two turns of pan, in a large skillet over medium heat with the butter. When the butter foams, add the shallots and season with salt and pepper. Stir for 2-3 minutes; add the lemon zest, garlic and poppy seeds and stir for 1-2 minutes. Deglaze with the wine and reduce until almost evaporated. Add the warm saffron stock and cream; let reduce while the pasta cooks.
Cook the pasta in salted boiling water to al dente. Reserve half a cup of the starchy cooking water and drain the pasta. Toss with the sauce, using the reserved cooking water as needed to incorporate the cheese and sauce into a thick coating on the pasta. Add the lemon juice and parsley; adjust the salt and pepper. Serve.