Lemony Lamb Chops with Chickpea Puree
Marinated broiled lamb chops served with sides of Swiss chard and chickpea puree is a nutritious complete meal.
- 12 small lamb loin chops
- Sea salt and coarse black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cans chickpeas (14 ounces each), rinsed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 5-6 cups Swiss chard or kale leaves
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Season the lamb chops with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons EVOO, half of the garlic, the rosemary and lemon juice. Coat the chops with the marinade and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile,in a medium size saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the stock and bring to a low boil. Transfer the mixture to a food processor; reserve the saucepan. Add the chickpeas and cheese to the food processor; puree. Spoon the mixture into the reserved saucepan, cover and keep warm over low heat.
Position a rack in the uppermost part of the broiler and pre-heat to high. Pre-heat a broiler pan.
Broil the chops, turning once, 6 minutes for rare or 8 minutes for medium-rare doneness
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and swirl for 1 minute. Add the chard (or kale) and cook until wilted, 3-5 minutes; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
To serve, top the chickpea puree with 3 chops. Serve with the greens.