This high-protein salad makes a filling but light meal and also works well as a picnic side.
- 1/2 pound lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsely, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons prepared tahini sauce (optional) or 2 tablespoons tahini paste, thinned with a splash of water (optional)
In a medium size pot, cover the lentils with water and a bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
Combine the lentils with the tomato and parsley. Whisk the EVOO, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, cumin, allspince, coriander and paprika together. Pour the dressing over the lentils and coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with a drizzle of tahini sauce (optional).