Lick Your Chops Supper
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large parsnips or parsley root, peeled and chopped
- 1/2-2/3 cup whole milk
- Black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Italian fontina cheese or 3/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 large bone-in pork or veal chops, about 1 1/2-2 inches thick
- 1 small bundle fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound trimmed broccolini spears
- 2 tablespoons butter
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Place the potatoes and parsnips in a medium size pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, 15-18 minutes. Drain and place back in the hot pot. Mash with the milk and salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste. Stir in the cheese to melt.
While the potatoes and parsnips come to a boil, rub the chops with lots of salt, pepper and sage. Once the potatoes are boiling, heat the EVOO over medium heat in a large oven-safe skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, then remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and raise the heat to medium-high.
Add the chops and brown on both sides and along the edges, 5-6 minutes. Add the vermouth or wine to the pan and transfer to the oven. Cook the meat through for 7-8 minutes more.
While the meat cooks, bring a couple of inches of water to a boil and salt the water. Cook the broccolini for 5-6 minutes, then drain.
Remove the chops to four plates. Add the butter to the pan and whisk into the pan juices, then spoon the sauce over the chops. Serve with the mashed potatoes and parsnips and the broccolini alongside.