Lighter Sausage Balls
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning (2 palmfuls), such as McCormick’s brand
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (2 handfuls)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, steak seasoning and cheddar cheese. Work the mixture together with your hands until just combined then portion it out into balls, about the size of a golf ball.
Set up three dishes on the countertop: one with the flour, one with the beaten eggs and one with the corn flakes. Coat each ball first in the flour then in the egg and finally in the corn flakes. Arrange the balls on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.