Linguine with Rabe and Parsley Pesto
Enjoy a splendid source of nutrients in this pasta dish with brillant green pesto and rabe.
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2-3-inch lengths
- About 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3-4 anchovy fillets, drained (if in oil) or rinsed (if in salt) and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound linguine
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
In a large, deep skillet, bring about 1 1/2-2 inches water to a boil. Salt the water and par-boil the rabe to cook out the bitterness, about 5 minutes. Drain and return the pan to the heat. Heat about 3 tablespoons oil, three turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onion, chili pepper and half of the garlic and sauté to tender. Add the rabe and season with salt and pepper. Add the cup chicken stock and reduce the heat to low simmer.
Add the parsley and the remaining garlic, pine nuts, anchovies, lemon zest and juice, black pepper, paprika and about 1/4 cup EVOO to a food processor. Pulse into a pesto sauce and adjust the salt, to taste. Transfer the sauce to a large shallow bowl.
Cook the pasta to al dente. Add about a cup of the hot starchy cooking water to the pesto and stir. Drain the linguine and add to the sauce, along with the rabe. Toss the pasta and sauce vigorously for 1-2 minutes to evenly coat the pasta and to distribute the rabe.