Maple Turkey Burgers with Bacon, Blue Cheese and Onions
Maple-Dijon burgers are topped with bacon, apples and blue cheese and set atop pretzel rolls – delish!
- 8 slices smoky bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, dark and white meat combined, 80-85% lean
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup or 1 tablespoon maple sugar
- About 3 tablespoons onion, grated over the mixing bowl you place meat in
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard or brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, Honeycrisp or Gala, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A few grates of nutmeg
- 1 package sliced blue cheese, such as Castello brand sliced Danish blue cheese
- Pretzel rolls, split and prepared according to package directions
Bake the bacon on a slotted broiling pan in a 375°F oven to crisp.
Place the meat in a bowl and combine with the maple syrup or maple sugar, onion, mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Form into four patties.
Heat a medium size skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and onions, and cook to light caramel in color, about 15 minutes. Add the apples and season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 3-4 minutes more until the apples are tender-crisp.
Meanwhile, pre-heat a large, cast iron skillet for the burgers. Cook the burgers in 1 tablespoon of oil, a turn of the pan, for about 12 minutes, turning once. Top the patties with blue cheese and cover with foil or a burger lid to melt the cheese. Top the burgers with two slices of bacon, some apples and onions; set the bun tops in place and serve.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit