This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Marsala
- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal or ground chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add butter. When it foams, add mushrooms and brown. Add shallots, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and sweat the shallots for a minute or two. Add Marsala and let reduce to 3-4 tablespoons. Cool mushrooms completely.
Place ground meat in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add cooled mushrooms and Marsala mixture, parsley, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, lemon zest and a tablespoon of olive oil – a fat drizzle. Roll balls with oiled hands or with a scoop into balls a bit larger than walnuts and roast in 400 oven until brown and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.