Mashed Potatoes and Leeks
Lemon zest, leeks and seasoned cheese add pizzazz to mashed potatoes. Serve alongside Smoked Ham with Orange-Rosemary Glaze.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 leeks, quartered lengthwise, chopped and washed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 wheels Boursin garlic and herb soft cheese (5.4 ounces each) or 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- Chicken stock or whole milk, for mashing
Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil; salt the water and cook the potatoes until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the hot pot.
Meanwhile, heat the EVOO over medium heat and melt the butter into the warm oil. When the butter foams, add the leeks and wilt for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Mash the potatoes with the leeks, lemon zest, soft cheese and the stock or milk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit