Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Pork Chop with Cider Gravy, Sautéed Apples and Onions
Serve with Corn Muffins with Bacon Bits and Cheddar Cheese.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large onions, yellow or red, thinly sliced
- 2 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 rounded tablespoons orange marmalade
In a medium pot add sweet potatoes and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until fork tender, 15-18 minutes.
Season chops with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork 5 minutes on the first side until deeply golden, turn and cook 3-4 minutes more with a loose foil tent over the pan. Remove cooked chops to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add another turn of the pan of EVOO, add the onions and apples. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and cook until just tender, 5-6 minutes. Douse with juice of a lemon and remove chops to a plate.
Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet, melt then whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in cider and 1 cup of stock. Season the gravy with salt and pepper. Thicken 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat.
Drain cooked sweet potatoes and return pan to stove. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and combine with marmalade and 1 cup stock. Add potatoes and mash, season with salt and pepper.
Serve chop covered with apples and onions, gravy poured down over top, sweet potatoes alongside.