Mean Green Tortilla Soup
- 2 cups regular or low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 ears of corn, kernels removed (reserve shaved corn cobs)
- 1 package corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 package chicken thighs or breasts (3 pieces)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 10-12 tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 cups cilantro, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 avocados, chopped (optional)
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
In a large pot, bring the chicken stock and water to a bubble with the reserved corn cobs and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Place the corn tortilla strips onto a baking sheet and spray them with some cooking spray. Transfer to the oven and bake until crispy, 10 minutes.
Pre-heat an ovensafe skillet over medium-high heat with about 2 tablespoons EVOO, about two turns around the pan. Add the chicken, browning it on all sides. Place the chicken into the oven for about 7-8 minutes, until juices run clear and no pink remains in the center. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from oven and let it rest before cutting into strips.
Pre-heat a heavy-bottomed pot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add the onion, garlic and cumin, and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the corn kernels, along with the jalapeño.
While the veggies are cooking, puree the tomatillos in a food processor until somewhat smooth. Add the purée, stock and chicken to the pot along with the veggies.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and add in the cilantro, lime zest and juice, and serve it up garnished with a big handful of Monterey Jack cheese, tortilla strips and avocado.