Meat-free, Easy and Tasty: Mushroom Tetrazzini with Tagliatelle
Enjoy the tantalizing taste of this vegetarian-friendly tetrazzini with mushrooms, peas and herbs in a wine sauce tossed with pasta and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or Marsala
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- About 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at table
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 1 cup frozen organic peas, defrosted
- Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat the EVOO and butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook to tender, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper, then add the shallot and garlic. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the sherry or Marsala. Stir in the cream and bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to low and simmer. Season with nutmeg. When the pasta is just about done, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese, a couple of handfuls. Cover and reserve.
Cook the pasta to al dente. Reserve 1 cup starchy cooking liquid, then drain the pasta and return it to the hot pot along with the peas. Add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and the mushroom sauce and toss to combine, 1-2 minutes. Add more water as necessary to coat the pasta evenly.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with parsley and pass more cheese at the table.