Meat-Free Fajitos (Fajita-Style Burritos)
Burritos filled with crisp fresh veggies simmered in a sherry sauce and topped with cheese are just the dish for vegans and Lenten observers.
- 1/4 cup corn oil or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, gills scraped and caps sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound Manchego cheese, shredded
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- A small handful of cilantro, chopped
In a large cast iron or other heavy skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon oil, the bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the jalapeño, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the sherry to deglaze the pan; lower the heat to a simmer. Meanwhile, char the tortillas on each side over an open flame or in a dry skillet.
Fill the hot tortillas with the Manchego cheese, mushroom filling, tomato and cilantro. Tuck in the sides, wrap and roll tightly into a burrito.