Mediterranean Cucumber Cups
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon plus 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 English (seedless) cucumbers
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the onion, pepper, tomatoes, olives, oregano, feta, parsley, lemon juice and zest and EVOO. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
Peel the cucumbers partially, so that there are four strips of skin going down the entire length of each cucumber. Trim the ends of the cucumbers and cut each cucumber into 3/4-inch-thick slices – you should have about 20 pieces. Scoop out the center of each slice with a melon baller, leaving a shell of cucumber flesh.
Scoop about 1-2 tablespoons of the Mediterranean salad into the cucumber cups and enjoy your refreshing bite-size snack!
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.