Mexican Chicken Pot Pies
Puréed chipotle in adobo adds smoke and spice to a pot pie with poached chicken and veggies topped with puffed pastry.
- 3 chicken bone-in, skin-on breasts
- 2 medium onions, 1 halved, 1 chopped
- 2 carrots, 1 peeled and cut into thick pieces, 1 chopped
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved
- 1 lime, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic, 1 crushed, remainder finely chopped
- 1 cup corn, scraped from cob or defrosted kernels
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons purée of chipotle in adobo, to your taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons butter
Place chicken in a pot with halved onion, carrot chunks, celery, jalapeno, lime slices, bay leaves, crushed garlic and just enough water to cover. Season with salt, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer and poach 40 minutes. Remove solids and reduce stock over high heat for 10 minutes.
Pre-heat oven to 425ºF.
Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and slice or pull into bite-size pieces.
Heat the butter in medium size skillet over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions, carrots, garlic and corn and cook to tender, 10 minutes or so. Add the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in about 2 cups of the reduced stock, then add the cream and chipotle. Taste and adjust the chipotle, salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken and reduce the heat to low.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a nonstick baking sheet. Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface. Cut out rounds the size of the bowls you wish to serve in and arrange them on the baking sheet. Brush the pastry with the egg wash and bake to golden.
Serve the chicken in bowls topped with the pastry rounds.