Mexican Chorizo and Turkey Chili
Spicy chorizo and turkey offer contrasting flavors in this chili. Top with crunchy chips.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo, cut from casings
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (a scant palmful)
- One can diced tomatoes (15-ounces)
- 1 pound cooked, diced turkey breast
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal or quick-cooking polenta
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Chili-flavored tortilla chips or Fritos, for topping
- Lime wedges, for serving
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the chorizo, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Add the garlic, onions and peppers and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the coriander, cumin and tomatoes, followed by the turkey, stock, chipotles, cornmeal and honey. Simmer over low heat to thicken, 45 minutes. Top with the chips, and serve with a lime wedge alongside.
Cook’s Note: Cool and store for a make-ahead meal, reheating over medium heat.