Mexican Meat-zza: Mexican Deep-Dish Pan Pizza
- 2 boxes corn muffin mix, 8 1/2 ounces each (such as Jiffy brand)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or, vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin (EVOO) or vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne sauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or jack cheese (10-ounce sack from dairy aisle)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small can, 2 1/4 ounces sliced chillies or jalapenos, drained
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 small vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons drained sliced green olives (salad olives)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, (optional garnish)
- Mild to medium taco sauce to pass at table, 1 cup
Pre-heat oven to 400 °F.
Mix together 2 packages muffin mix with 2 eggs, 4 tablespoons melted butter (melt in microwave 30 seconds), 1 1/2 cups milk and frozen corn kernels. Wipe a nonstick skillet with a little EVOO or vegetable oil and pour in the muffin mix. Use a large skillet, 10-12 inch. Choose a pan with oven safe handle or, double-wrap handle with foil to protect it in the oven. Place pan in oven and bake 12-15 minutes in center of the oven until light golden in color.
Brown the meat over medium high heat in a second skillet in EVOO or vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions and spices and cook meat 5 minutes more.
Remove cornbread from oven and top with meat, cheese, and veggies. Add pan back to oven and cook 5 minutes more to melt cheese. Garnish with cilantro, optional. Cut into 8 wedges and serve the deep dish pan pizza from the skillet. Pass taco sauce at the table to sprinkle on top.