Mexican-Spiced Steak with Chipotle con Queso Sauce and Avocado Salad
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning (a couple
- of palmfuls)
- Grated zest of 2 limes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (half a palmful)
- Four 1-inch-thick strip steaks (8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile
- in adobo sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 2 Hass avocados – pitted, flesh scooped out, then sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
In a small bowl, combine the grill seasoning, lime zest, coriander, cumin and chili powder. Work the dry rub into the steaks on both sides; set the steaks on a plate and let stand for 15 minutes.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and cook, whisking, until bubbling, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cheese and chipotles in adobo sauce. Season the sauce with salt to taste. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and keep the sauce warm.
Drizzle a little EVOO on a large griddle or in a heavy skillet; spread the oil evenly with a bunched-up paper towel. Heat the pan over high heat until just smoking. Add the steaks and cook for 5 minutes, lowering the heat if needed. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes for medium. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
Slice the steaks and top with the chipotle-cheese sauce. Serve the avocados, tomatoes and red onion alongside the steaks. Sprinkle the salad with salt, lemon juice and EVOO. Top the steaks and salad with the cilantro.