Minestra is a traditional Italian soup made with beans and greens. I use escarole, but you use lots of different greens such as kale. –RR
For a complete meal, serve with Panini with Roasted Peppers and Stuffed and Wrapped Figs.
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/8 pound pancetta, sliced and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds escarole (2 medium bunches or 1 large bunch), washed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cans cannellini beans (14 ounces each), drained
- 1 quart prepared chicken stock or broth
- A couple pinches nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for topping
- Warm crusty bread, for mopping
In a large, deep, heavy pot over moderate heat, sauté garlic and pancetta in EVOO (two turns of the pan) for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
Add the greens and wilt them down to fit them all in the pot. Add beans, broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook over moderate to medium-high heat for 12 minutes, or until greens are no longer bitter. Serve with shaved cheese, bread and good red wine.