Mini Meatball and Orzo Soup
This is a great way to fill up a thermos! Orzo’s shape is fun and so is rolling the little meatballs!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
Heat the EVOO over medium heat in a medium pot. Sauté the onion and carrot for five minutes, then add the broth and bring up to a boil.
Mix the meat with cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix, and if the mixture is too moist, add a few more breadcrumbs.
When the soup comes to a boil, roll and drop 1-inch meatballs into the broth. Stir in the orzo and cook for five minutes. The pasta will not be done but it will continue to cook. Ladle into thermoses.