Mixed Greens with Romano Crisps
The Romano crisp toppers turn an easy, fresh salad into something special.
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 12 ounces mixed greens, from bulk bin or packages found in produce department
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs – whatever you have on hand: parsley, basil, chives, sage, etc. (a handful)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat.
Pile one tablespoon of grated cheese in several spots on the hot pan, allowing about 1/2 inch between each pile. Cheese will melt, bubble and form a cheesy lace. When the cheesy crisps turn light golden in color, remove them from the pan carefully with a thin spatula. The cheese crisps will harden as they cool.
Combine lettuces and fresh herbs. Drizzle mixed greens with EVOO and balsamic vinegar, just enough to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Top dressed salad with crisps and enjoy!