Mixed Herb and Fava Bean Pesto
I had made the Mixed Herb & Fava Bean Pesto a couple of days before, so dinner practically made itself. I just cooked off a pound of pasta and tossed it with the pesto and some of the pasta cooking water. Extra cheese up on top if you want.
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 cloves spring garlic, grated or pasted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese
- About 1/2 cup EVOO
- Salt and pepper
In a medium saucepan of boiling water, boil the favas for 4 to 5 minutes. Scoop out of the pan, drain and cool. Then push them out of their skins and split the favas into two halves.
Meanwhile, put the basil into the same pot of boiling water to 30 seconds to blanch, then drain and cold-shock in ice water. Drain really well.
In a food processor, combine the favas, basil, mint, parsley, tarragon, garlic, pine nuts, lemon zest, lemon juice, pecorino, and EVOO and pulse into a pesto. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.