Monte Cristo Club
Jazz up your sandwich with this new combo of flavors.
- 8 slices pepper bacon
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup applesauce, plus more for serving
- 4 slices red, orange or yellow tomato
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices white or whole wheat bread
- 8 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 pound deli-sliced turkey or smoked turkey
- 1 cup baby spinach or mixed greens
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Broil the bacon on a rack set on a baking sheet until crisp, 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix together the maple syrup and applesauce. Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper.
Assemble four sammies with bread, cheese, turkey, spinach, bacon, tomato, more cheese and bread; press slightly.
In a shallow dish, beat the eggs with the milk. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Coat each sammie with the egg mixture, then add to the skillet and cook, turning once, until deeply golden, about 7 minutes. Cut the sammies and serve with the applesauce.