Moroccan Lemon-Olive Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into large bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 lemons (organic or Meyer, if available), 1 sliced into rounds about half an inch thick and 1 cut in half, divided
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (2/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons coriander (2/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (2/3 palmful)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup large, pitted, green olives
- A handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 handfuls parsley leaves, finely chopped
Heat EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. When oil ripples and begins to smoke, add chicken pieces and brown 3-4 minutes to get good color on the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the onions, garlic, lemon rounds and bay leaves. Cook, stirring frequently, 6-7 minutes more. Add spices, stock and olives to the skillet and cook 5 minutes more to reduce. Remove from heat, squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon into the skillet and stir in the herbs.
Serve with Pine Nut-Saffron Pilaf alongside.