Moroccan Spiced Lamb or Chicken
A collection of Middle Eastern spices and a tomato citrus sauce add deep flavor to lamb or chicken. Serve with Pistachio, Garlic and Mint Couscous.
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb or chicken thighs, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander (half a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest plus juice of 1 orange or ripe lemon
- Flat bread or couscous, for serving
Sprinkle the meat with a spice blend of the cumin, coriander, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour.
Heat the EVOO in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the EVOO smokes, add the meat and brown all over. Remove to a plate, reduce the heat a bit and add more EVOO, the chili peppers, onions and bay leaves. Cook to soften, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, stock, zest and juice. Once the liquid comes to boil, add the meat back in and reduce the heat to thicken it a little.
Serve with flat bread or couscous.