Mozzarella in Carrozza
Eggplant slices form the carrozza (carriage) for slices of mozzarella. Cover with a delicious herbed breadcrumb and cheese mixture, then fry and serve with tomato sauce.
- 16 1/4-inch-thick slices eggplant or green tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes (28-32 ounces)
- A handful of basil, torn
- Salt, to taste
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Flour, for dredging
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
Salt the eggplant or tomatoes and drain on paper towels or a dishtowel for 20 minutes, turning once.
For the sauce: Heat a saucepot over medium heat with the butter. When it foams, add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the onion and tomatoes, crushing up the tomatoes a bit, then stir in the basil and a little salt. Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove the onion.
Sandwich the mozzarella slices between the eggplant or tomatoes. Coat the sandwiches in flour, egg then a mixture of breadcrumbs, grated cheese, cornmeal, granulated onion and garlic, and parsley.
Heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat. Fry the stuffed eggplant or tomato sandwiches about 3 minutes on each side until golden. Serve hot with sauce alongside.