Mussels in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
This restaurant quality pasta dish showcases mussels at their best, right in your own kitchen!
- Two packages fresh linguine (9 ounces each)
- One jar roasted red peppers (12-16 ounces), drained and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- One can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces)
- Black pepper
- 36 mussels (about 2 pounds), debearded
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
While the pasta is working, using a food processor, puree the roasted peppers.
In a deep skillet, heat three tablespoons EVOO, about three turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently. Add the wine and reduce for about a minute, then stir in the pureed peppers and the tomatoes; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add the mussels to the pan, cover tightly and cook until the shells open, about five minutes (discard any unopened mussels).
Divide the mussels among four large, shallow bowls and spoon a little sauce on top. Using tongs, transfer the cooked pasta from its water to the sauce in the skillet and toss to coat. Pile the pasta alongside the mussels.