My Sweet n Spicy Pickle Spears
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 rounded teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 rounded tablespoons sugar
- 5 or 6 Kirby cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and halved
- A few fresh or dried bay leaves
- A small handful of fresh dill
- 1 red Fresno chile pepper, halved
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- A few black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar and water and bring to a boil. Stir in the salt and sugar until dissolved and remove from the heat.
Fit the cucumbers into two mason jars tall enough to hold the spears standing up. Lay in the garlic, bay leaves, dill, chile pepper, red onion, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and coriander seeds. Pour enough hot brine over the cucumbers to fill the jars. Close the jars. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to a few weeks.