This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus some for drizzling
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock or water
- 1 can spicy vegetarian refried beans
- 2 vine tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- A small handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons puréed chipotle in adobo
- 4 large handfuls corn tortilla chips, preferred brand Que Pasa
- 1/2 pound pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 burger rolls, split and toasted
- Chopped lettuce
- Pickled sliced jalapeño pepper rings
Heat olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add half of the chopped jalapeño, onion and garlic, and season with salt, pepper and cumin. Cook to soften, 5 minutes, then add stock or water, beans and hot sauce. Simmer to thicken a bit over low heat.
For the salsa, combine tomatoes, red onion, remaining jalapeño, salt, cilantro, cayenne and lime juice. Reserve.
Season beef with Kosher salt and lots of coarse black pepper. Combine beef with Worcestershire and chipotle purée, and form 4 patties that are thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking. Cook patties 8 minutes turning occasionally.
Preheat broiler, place chips on baking sheet and top with cheese. Place chips under broiler until they’re crisp and cheese melted.
Assemble burgers: bun bottom, lettuce, burger patty, bean topping, cheesy chips, salsa, jalapeño rings and bun top.