Not Your Mama’s London Broil
- 1 1 1/2-2-pound boneless shoulder steak or top round steak, often marked “London Broil”
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided, plus additional for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into spears
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (about a handful), chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F and the broiler to high, setting the rack 8 inches from the flame.
Put the steak on a broiler pan, drizzle with 1 tablespoon EVOO and season with salt and ground black pepper. Place the steak under the broiler for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove the meat from the broiler and let it to rest for 5 minutes, tented with a piece of foil.
Place the broccoli spears on a baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Top with crushed garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.
While the broccoli is roasting, to a medium size skillet add the remaining tablespoon EVOO and the butter. Add in the shallots and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and smoked paprika, cook for a minute, then add flour and cook for another minute and whisk in the beef stock and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes, turn off the heat and stir in the capers and parsley.
Slice the steak and top with the bistro gravy. Serve the roasted broccoli spears alongside.