Nutty Chicken Cutlets with Citrus Salad
Chicken cutlets with a whole grain, nutty crust pair well with a zesty salad for a perfect weeknight meal.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied (split open) and pounded very thin
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/2 cup skinless hazelnuts or almonds, toasted, then pulse-ground in a food processor
- 1/2 cup fine regular, whole wheat or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 cup regular, whole wheat or gluten-free panko
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- A handful of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil or canola oil, for shallow frying
- 1 cup blood orange or navel orange sections
- 5-6 cups arugula
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 4 wedges lemon
Pre-heat the oven to 250°F. Place a metal rack on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven to hold the crispy cutlets warm once you begin cooking them.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
Combine the ground nuts, breadcrumbs, panko, citrus zest, thyme, cheese and parsley in a shallow dish. Arrange two more dishes with the flour and eggs.
Heat a layer of oil about 1/8 inch deep in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Coat the chicken in the flour; shake off the excess, then coat in the egg and let the excess drain off. Coat evenly and fully in the breadcrumb mixture. Add the chicken to the oil in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep the cooked cutlets warm in the oven while you finish the rest.
Combine the citrus sections with the arugula and onions and dress the salad with the lemon, EVOO, salt and pepper.
Serve the cutlets with the lemon wedges and salad alongside.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit