NYC Sizzling Soft Taco with Southwest Roasted Chicken and Corn Relish
This exciting and fun-to-prepare meal has whole grains and fresh vegetables, making it both a delicious and nutritious meal for you and your family. You can also swap in or add Vegetarian “Veg-Head” Beans as a vegetarian option.
This dish was served in more than 1600 New York City school’s as part of Yum-o!’s collaboration with the New York City Department of Education’s Office of SchoolFood.
- 1 3-4 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, plus a pinch to season the flatbread
- 2 teaspoons cumin, plus a pinch to season the flatbread
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 box frozen corn kernels (10 ounces) or 2-3 ears fresh corn, kernels removed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 4 pieces of whole grain flatbread or pita
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Place the chicken in a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle it with chili powder and cumin and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons EVOO. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 60 minutes, or until it is cooked through and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165°F. When it is cool enough to handle, pull the meat off the bone and set aside.
While the chicken is cooking, place a medium to large skillet over medium-high heat, adding the remaining EVOO. Add the garlic, onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. When slightly tender, add the corn and cook for 3-4 minutes more, or until heated through and slightly golden brown in color. During the last minute of cooking, add the lime juice, tomato and scallions and toss to combine. Set aside.
In a toaster oven or a regular oven, place the four flatbreads on a baking sheet, sprinkle with a pinch of chili powder and cumin and drizzle with EVOO. Toast until golden and crispy.
To assemble, place a toasted flatbread on a plate and top it with some corn relish. Place some chicken on top along with some lettuce and cheddar cheese and drizzle with Yum-o! Ranch Sauce. Repeat with the remaining flatbreads and toppings to make three additional tacos.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.