Open-Face Monte Cristo Clubs
It’s hard to resist this favorite combo of turkey, ham and cheese, now served open-face!
- 8 slices good-quality bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cut into 1-inch-thick slices, washed and dried
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- About 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 hand-cut thick slices good-quality white bread
- Butter, for griddle
- 4 deli slices baked ham
- 4 deli slices good-quality turkey breast
- 4 slices heirloom tomato or beefsteak tomato
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese or 4 slices Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Place the bacon on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet or on a slotted broiler pan. Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and sauté to soften, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and reserve.
Remove the bacon from the oven and switch on the broiler. Heat a nonstick or cast iron griddle over medium heat.
Whisk together the eggs, hot sauce, milk and some salt and pepper. Soak the bread in the eggs. Butter the griddle and cook the bread until golden.
Arrange the cooked toast on a baking sheet. Top each slice of toast with one slice each of ham and turkey, then top with some leeks, a slice of tomato, crossed strips of bacon and some cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and golden, 1-2 minutes.
Mix the syrup and mustard together and serve in ramekins alongside the sandwiches.