Orange-Scented Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Surprising spices with bacon, orange zest and juice transform ordinary sweet potatoes into something special. Serve with Skirt Steak with Ancho-Onion Steak Sauce and Garlicky Creamed Corn and Spinach.
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks or thin slices
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil
- 2 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Chicken stock, as needed
- 1 teaspoon coriander (1/3 palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (1/3 palmful)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A few dashes of hot sauce, to taste
Put the potatoes in a medium size pot, cover with water, salt the water and bring to boil over medium heat. Cook until tender, then drain and return the potatoes to the pot.
In a medium size sauté pan, heat a little oil over medium heat and add the bacon and cook until it begins to crisp. Stir in the orange zest and juice and the potatoes. Mash to your desired consistency with some chicken stock to thin the potatoes, if desired. Stir in the coriander, cumin, cinnamon and hot sauce.
Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve.