Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Burst Tomatoes
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 bundles, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, broccoli rabe (rapini)
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta (little ear-shaped pasta)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 to 8 anchovy filets or 3/4 pound Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or ricotta salata, optional
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
In a deep-sided skillet, bring 3 inches of water to a boil. Trim broccoli rabe into 2-inch and par-boil 2-3 minutes; cold shock in ice water.
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat with olive oil, 4 turns of the pan. Add anchovies and melt into oil or brown the sausage and crumble. Add chili, garlic and rabes/rapini and season with nutmeg. Add vermouth and stir; add tomatoes and cover the pan. Cook until tomatoes burst, 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente and add half a cup of starchy liquid to the sauce. Add pasta and toss to combine. Adjust salt and pepper, to taste; top with cheese, if using.