Outside-In Pizza Paninis
Rach says, “This has all of your favorite pizza toppings, but inside! I love pepperoni on mine, but my brother Manny likes black olives on his. There’s no right or wrong here, so get creative!”
- 1 large, store-bought focaccia, round or square
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- A couple pinches of dried oregano
- About 10 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 small bag sliced pepperoni
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 10 slices provolone
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small white or red onion, sliced
Pre-heat a panini grill or a heavy-bottomed grill pan over medium heat.
Cut the foccacia into four equal sections, then split each section in half so it opens up like a sandwich. Stuff the foccacia with any combination of your favorite pizza toppings.
Place the panini in a sandwich press. If using a pan on the stovetop, place another heavy skillet or a brick wrapped in foil on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Press until cheese is melted and bread is crisp on both sides, about 2-3 minutes on each side.