Pacchieri alla Genovese
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound pancetta, bacon or guanciale, diced
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large bay leaf
- 4 to 5 red or Tropea onions, quartered then very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound pacchieri, ziti rigate or rigatoni
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add pancetta and render 2-3 minutes; remove. Add beef and brown in two batches; remove. Add carrots, celery and crushed garlic, and soften 3-4 minutes. Add beef back to the pot with the bay leaf and cover with onions; season with salt and pepper, cover pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 2 hours until tender.
Uncover pot and reduce liquid while breaking up meat, 30-45 minutes. Add wine and simmer 15 minutes more.
Cook pasta in boiling, salted water. Reserve 1 cup starchy cooking water then drain pasta. Toss pasta with butter, starchy water and half the sauce. Serve pasta topped with additional sauce and some grated cheese.